Chicken Borcht Soup with Avocado & Dill
1 chicken breast shredded
5 cups low sodium vegetable/chicken stock
2 large beets
2 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp vinegar
1 tbsp coconut sugar (or sugar of your choice)
3 tbsp tomato paste
1 medium onion, finely diced
2 carrots sliced thin
2 large potatoes skinned and cubed
1½ cups of shredded cabbage
¼ tsp pepper
1 mashed avocado for garnish
1 pinch of dill per soup bowl
1. Boil beets and potatoes together in hot water.
2. Prepare shredded chicken (instapot, slow cooker, pan fry or boil chicken).
3. Sauté carrots for 5 minutes with olive oil then add the cabbage and onion. Mix in sugar, vinegar and tomato paste. Cook them together for 1-2 minutes.
4. Strain beets and potatoes (leave 1/2 cup to add to broth).
6. Heat vegetable/chicken stock in large soup pot.
5. Transfer all sautéed vegetables (in sauce), beets and potatoes and chicken into soup stock and stir until blended.
6. Simmer until chicken is soft.
7. Pour in bowl.
8. Mash an avocado and sprinkle dill on top of prepared soup.