Healthy Tomato Bisque Drunken Meatballs
1 lb of ground meat of your choice
1 large egg
4 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
4 tbsp tomato paste
2 cans of tomatoes
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tbsp oil of your choice
3/4 cup minced sweet onion (set aside 1/4 cup to add to meatball mixture)
2 stocks of minced celery (1 stock for soup and add 1 stock to meatball mixture)
2 tsp minced garlic (optional: add 1 extra tsp to meatballs)
2 tsp sugar/sweetener of your choice
1/4 cup nutritional yeast (optional to add to meatballs)
- Preheat. Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare meatballs. Mix meat, raw celery & onions, nutritional yeast (optional) and egg. Handpress meatballs and place on greased baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes.
- Prepare vegetables. Add oil into large pan on medium heat. Sauté celery, onion, garlic for 1 minute. Add tomato paste and sugar. Sauté for 1 minute. Strain canned tomatoes (save leftover juice to add to soup). Add canned tomatoes to vegetables and sauté another 3-5 minutes. Take off of stove when they start to thicken like a stew).
- Prepare Soup Base. Heat stock on medium-high heat until steaming and add left over tomato juice. Add heavy whipping cream and stir. Transfer sautéed vegetables into stock and stir. Cook 20 minutes with lid on medium heat. Add salt/pepper or other spices if needed.
- Blend Soup. Transfer 1/3 of soup into a food processor (or good blender) and blend until smooth. Be careful because the soup is hot. Do this step 3 times until all soup is blended. Transfer blended soup back into pot.
- Simmer (as along as you’d like).
- Combine Ingredients to Soup Bowl and Serve. Take out meatballs and place them into large soup bowl. Pour soup over meatballs. Add cheese (or nutritional yeast), fresh parsley (optional) or any topping of your choice.